For the cake:
1 cup buckwheat flour (can sub for brown rice flour)
1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
¾ cup coconut sugar
Zest of 1 orange
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal + 4 tablespoons water)
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup almond milk
For the syrup:
½ cup coconut nectar (can sub for maple syrup or honey)
1 cinnamon stick
Juice of 1 orange
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC and line up with parchment paper a loaf pan.
2. In a small dish place the flaxseed meal and the water, stir and let it thicken.
3. Combine the flour, almond meal, coconut sugar, cinnamon, sea salt, baking powder and the zest of the orange.
4. Add the almond milk and pumpkin puree and whisk.
5. Finally, add the flax eggs and combine well. The batter will be thicker than the traditional non-vegan cakes but yet pourable.
6. Transfer the dough into the cake pan and take it to the oven for approximately 30 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes until clean with just a few crumbs clinging on to it.
7. While the cake is baking, add the juice of the orange, the coconut nectar, cinnamon stick and the cloves to a saucepan pan over medium heat, stir and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and pour the syrup over it, while in the loaf pan. Let it sit overnight or for at least 1h30min so it gets well soaked and delicious.
9. When it’s all looking gorgeous and cooled down take it out of the loaf pan, serve and enjoy.